Reserve Your Team Spot Now!
Dear On The Fly supporters,
I would like to express my extreme gratitude for your support of YSB’s On The Fly fundraising event over the past 27 years. When I look at the history of our community’s support of the services that YSB provides to local kids and families, On The Fly has been a welcome source of stability that has helped us be there consistently for the kids who need us most. After seeing the success of our 2023 On The Fly, I am very much looking forward to our 2024 event. I can’t wait to see you all again this coming Spring!
Each year, YSB raises about 15% of our annual budget through fundraising events, support from local businesses, and private giving. This year, that means that we have the ambitious goal of raising nearly $700,000 to keep our after-school youth centers, teen shelter, apartment program for transition-age youth, and Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring programs running. With the increased needs that we’re seeing among children and youth in our community this year, I am turning to you – our community partners for your support.
We have some exciting sponsorship opportunities for this year’s On The Fly event that I hope you will consider. We also anticipate filling all our available water (and selling out of teams) very quickly. Because of this, we will not have a separate early bird rate this year. I highly recommend that you reach out to our Development Coordinator, Kathy Coursen, without delay if you would like us to reserve space for your team.
I wholeheartedly hope to see you all there at this year’s On The Fly. Thank you for your continued support of YSB. You make it possible for kids across Central PA to reach their full potential!
Take good care,
YSB’s Chief Executive Officer
Wayne Harpster and his family offer their private waters on premiere Spruce Creek for our annual On the Fly fishing tournament. This unique one-fly tournament begins with breakfast, two fishing sessions separated by a hearty lunch, and concludes with a banquet and awards presentation. A team consists of four individuals with a rotating schedule of fishing. The legendary Joe Humphreys will be in attendance. All day tickets, banquet tickets, and other sponsorship opportunities are available.
Wayne Harpster Farm
Monday, May 13, 2024
All YSB fundraising events promote a friendly atmosphere and camaraderie between new and old friends. These events raise funds needed to maintain the array of programs and services of the YSB. The YSB is a non-profit human service agency that has been serving children, youth, and families of Centre County and surrounding counties since 1968.
For information on how to become a 2024 YSB Event Season Sponsor, please contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, May 13, 2024
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
6:30 – 8:00 Breakfast
- 7:30 – 8:30: Fishermen A
- 8:30 – 9:30: Fishermen B
- 9:30 – 10:30: Fishermen A
- 10:30 – 11:30: Fishermen B
11:00 – 12:30 Lunch
- 1:00 – 2:00: Fishermen A
- 2:00 – 3:00: Fishermen B
- 3:00 – 4:00: Fishermen A
- 4:00 – 5:00: Fishermen B
4:30 Evening Reception Begins
- Competition will include team or individual entries. There will be a Team Champion and an individual champion with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for both tournaments.
- Any conventional fly pattern of any dry, wet, nymph, streamer or terrestrial.
- Contestants may choose the pattern used after examining their beats, and may bring one extra fly rod, reel and line. CONTESTANTS MAY USE FLY OF CHOICE FOR EACH BEAT.
- The flies will be registered by the controller prior to each hour of fishing.
- Repair of flies may only be done with the use of glue, or other adhesive. Any re-tying of the fly with thread or fly tying materials will be prohibited. Broken hooks may be honed back to usable sharpness with any sharpening tool.
- No lead-headed jigs or modified spinning lure type flies will be approved.
- Rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Fish Commission governing the waters to be fished will be strictly observed.
- No wading permitted.
- No strike indicator permitted.
- No chumming permitted before, during or after event.
- All trout will be counted in the scoring.
- The contestants can not continue to fish the beat where the fly was irretrievably lost, but can resume fishing on the next assigned beat with a new fly.
- Contestants on the same team may switch back and forth on their adjacent beats.
- Beats will be randomly assigned prior to the event.
- Fishing times will be one hour on, one hour off.
- If the contestant’s fishing fly becomes caught in brush or snags, it may be recovered and reattached to the leader and they may continue fishing; however, if any unsafe practice is used to retrieve a fly, the contestant can be disqualified by the controller.
- Controller may assist in the landing of any fish, to be scored for the contest, with permission of the fisherman who has the fish on the line. Controllers are permitted to enter the water to net a fish.
- Nets shall be used to land fish to avoid harm to the fish. Barbless hooks must be used. Any fish killed will be a deduction of 10 points.
On The Fly depends on the time and talent of volunteers to bring this event to life.
On The Fly takes place at 5627 Covered Bridge Ln., Spruce Creek PA 16883
General Volunteer Shifts for On The Fly:
5:30am – 10:30am
Registration, Games set up and sales, Merchandise set up and sales, Waiver table etc.
10:00am – 3:00pm
Games, Raffles, set up and clean up for lunch etc.
2:30pm – 7:30pm
Games and Raffles, Live auction, Take down event signs, Load up all supplies, Final Clean up.
Controllers and Scorers for On The Fly
Build or Buy A Basket/Item!
A donation towards our auctions and games help to raise money to support youth and families.
Connect with friends, organizations you are a part of, or businesses to create a basket ready to be auctioned off at our On The Fly Event! Fill out the form below to get started!
Want us to do the shopping? Buy a Basket or Item and we will take care of the rest!
If you have questions Contact Kathy Coursen | firstname.lastname@example.org | 814-237-5731