Monday, May 9, 2022
Wayne Harpster and his family offer their private waters on premiere Spruce Creek for our annual On the Fly fishing tournament. This unique one-fly tournament begins with breakfast, two fishing sessions separated by a hearty lunch, and concludes with a banquet and awards presentation. A team consists of four individuals with a rotating schedule of fishing. The legendary Joe Humphreys will be in attendance. All day tickets, banquet tickets, and other sponsorship opportunities are available.
COVID Safety Procedures
The Youth Service Bureau will adhere to CDC guidelines for events/gatherings.
Wayne Harpster Farm
While YSB has maximized funding opportunities at the local, state and national level, approximately 16% of this year’s budget must be raised through private donor dollars. On The Fly is one of the ways we meet that need.
To register as a Team you can:
- Print and mail the brochure to YSB: Click HERE to download the On The Fly 2022 Brochure
- Checks can be made out to YSB and sent to 325 W. Aaron Drive, State College PA 16803
- Credit Cards can be taken over the phone or in person
- Register and Pay Online Below
Your sponsorship of On The Fly creates a lasting impact by funding the prevention programs, family services, and residential homes that youth and families depend on.
To register as a sponsor you can:
Download and the Sponsorship Form: Click HERE to Download the 2022 On The Fly Sponsorship Information
- Checks can be made out to YSB and mailed to 325 W. Aaron Drive, State College PA 16803
- Credit cards can be accepted over the phone or in person
- Click HERE to register and pay online
**Please note, while we update the website frequently we cannot guarantee availability of sponsorships. If you have questions, please contact Liz Volpe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-237-5731
6:30 – 8:00 Breakfast
- 7:30 – 8:30: Fishermen A
- 8:30 – 9:30: Fishermen B
- 9:30 – 10:30: Fishermen A
- 10:30 – 11:30: Fishermen B
11:00 – 12:30 Lunch
- 1:00 – 2:00: Fishermen A
- 2:00 – 3:00: Fishermen B
- 3:00 – 4:00: Fishermen A
- 4:00 – 5:00: Fishermen B
5:30 Live Auction Dinner Buffet and Awards following
- Competition will include team or individual entries. There will be a Team Champion and an individual champion with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for both tournaments.
- Any conventional fly pattern of any dry, wet, nymph, streamer or terrestrial.
- Contestants may choose the pattern used after examining their beats, and may bring one extra fly rod, reel and line. CONTESTANTS MAY USE FLY OF CHOICE FOR EACH BEAT.
- The flies will be registered by the controller prior to each hour of fishing.
- Repair of flies may only be done with the use of glue, or other adhesive. Any re-tying of the fly with thread or fly tying materials will be prohibited. Broken hooks may be honed back to usable sharpness with any sharpening tool.
- No lead-headed jigs or modified spinning lure type flies will be approved.
- Rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Fish Commission governing the waters to be fished will be strictly observed.
- No wading permitted.
- No strike indicator permitted.
- No chumming permitted before, during or after event.
- All trout will be counted in the scoring.
- The contestants can not continue to fish the beat where the fly was irretrievably lost, but can resume fishing on the next assigned beat with a new fly.
- Contestants on the same team may switch back and forth on their adjacent beats.
- Beats will be randomly assigned prior to the event.
- Fishing times will be one hour on, one hour off.
- If the contestant’s fishing fly becomes caught in brush or snags, it may be recovered and reattached to the leader and they may continue fishing; however, if any unsafe practice is used to retrieve a fly, the contestant can be disqualified by the controller.
- Controller may assist in the landing of any fish, to be scored for the contest, with permission of the fisherman who has the fish on the line. Controllers are permitted to enter the water to net a fish.
- Nets shall be used to land fish to avoid harm to the fish. Barbless hooks must be used. Any fish killed will be a deduction of 10 points.
2019 On The Fly Team Winners: Livin’ On the Fly with 472 Points, Eric Norman, Ben Lago, Guy Murray, Spencer Peters
2019 On the Fly Second Place Winners: The Pocket Pickers with 358 Points, Phil Boinske, Lenny Gliway, George Costa, Sam Galt
2019 On the Fly 3rd Place Winners: FNB with 325 Points, Greg Dreibelbis, Brad Karch, Justin Long, Jim Rubin
NO PICTURE AVAILABLE
2019 On the Fly 1st Place Individual: Guy Murray with 275 Points
Guy Murray with the “Traveling Trophy” for 1st Place Individuals.
2019 On the Fly 2nd Place Individual: Jim Rubin with 216 Points
2019 On the Fly 3rd Place Individual: George Costa with 196 Points
2019 On the Fly Gloria Humphreys Award: Wayne and Marjorie Harpster
On The Fly depends on the time and talent of volunteers to bring this event to life.
All volunteer activities will take place at: 5627 Covered Bridge Ln., Spruce Creek PA 16883
Register Below to Volunteer – Scroll Down to See Descriptions
We will have a silent and live auction during the event. The auction(s) take place during the reception (4 – 7pm). Auction Volunteers will help monitor the silent auction and help keep track of bids during the live auction.
Break Down Volunteers
All break down volunteers will help to ensure we leave the space looking just as good as when we found it. These volunteers will help bag linens, break down tables and chairs, remove trash, pack the truck and more.
Controllers are the people on the water who are helping to net and measure any fish caught during the competition. We prefer individuals who are familiar with fly fishing.
Between lunch and dinner, we will need to turn over the tent and be ready for the reception and dinner. As an Event Decorating volunteer you will help position tables in the right place, put linens and center pieces on the tables and help make sure the event is ready to greet the anglers when they conclude fishing at the end of the day.
If you have no preference on where we place you, this is the volunteer position for you!
As a raffle/game volunteer, you will help us run the different raffles and games that will happen during the reception.
Registration volunteers will help us greet each angler and make sure everyone has what they need to start the tournament!
Scoring is an ongoing process during On The Fly. Scoring volunteers will help support the scoring team during the day.
Set Up Volunteers – Friday, May 6
Initial Set Up will take place on Friday, May 6. Activities will include setting up tables, chairs, cocktail tables. Ensuring all equipment is in place for the Monday Event.
Set Up Volunteers – Monday, May 9
Our Monday Morning Set Up Volunteers will make sure the event is set and ready to go before participants arrive.